Springtime 2016!

I saw some late snowdrops on Dartmoor on Monday. They reminded me that here in Exeter the snowdrops are long gone and now my garden is full of primroses. I always find this a difficult time of year, so beautiful  and yet part of me wants to remain in the darkness, quiet and hidden. But Springtime is coming and no escaping it. Stories are starting to spill out of my mouth in spite of myself!

Felt a real country bumpkin when I emerged into Bristol for World Book Day. ' Oh! It's so big!' . Spent the day enthralled and enthralling the children of Stoke Bishop Primary School, who had the most wonderful costumes I've ever seen!

 On Thursday I've been asked to tell 'The Easter Story' at my daughter's youth club, "What THE Easter story, Jesus and the cross and..." "Well, yes,".  I always like a challenge when it comes to storytelling, but these stories, they're powerful and...contentious. If I'm going to tell it I want it to be through the female voice, the voice of Mary Magdalen..but softly, softly. Still haven't quite decided.


Then on Sunday I'm co- leading a group around Exeter at part of a 'Wild Wisdom' event (www.open-spirit.co.uk). I'll be telling the story of the Exeter Saint Sidwell, one of the first stories that I stumbled on when I first moved to the South West in 2000, and one that has fascinated me ever since. First written down by the Romans when they conquered Exeter, the story is clearly much older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment